Many years ago I growing up I remember the story of a man named Larry McDonald. I was a kid then and politics was never my focus. The only politics I ever encountered growing up was someone spray painted “Stop Iran” on a stop sign below the trailer park where I lived. I also remember a campaign sign with a message below it that said vote for so and so and below it was a small sign that said, “for more roads like this. ” Looking at Kellogg Creek Road then, the sign was a definite political smear. I do however remember the news story of Larry McDonald. I did not know much about him but the news had many stories about the plane being shot down . I cant remember our response to the event but it did cause some concern. My parents where much too focused making a living. I was much to focused on playing outside and cartoons. Some time later I remember seeing a sign like the one below.
Image from Mapio.Net
“In 1998, the Georgia House of Representatives named the stretch of Interstate Highway 75 that runs from the Chattahoochee River north to the Tennessee state line the Larry McDonald Memorial Highway.”
With all of the construction going on I would not be surprised if they take down his sign. All of the construction with the new Braves Stadium has changed the landscape of the area. Here is a little more on Larry McDonald from Politico.com
“On this September 1st, 1983, Rep. Larry McDonald (D-Ga.), along with 268 other passengers and crew members aboard Korean Air Lines Flight 007, was killed when Soviet interceptors shot down the Boeing 747 airliner near Sakhalin Island after it had entered Soviet airspace. McDonald was en route to Seoul to attend a ceremony marking the 30th anniversary of the U.S.-South Korea defense pact. “
The article goes on to say, ” In 1979, McDonald helped found the Western Goals Foundation, with the aim of combating world communism. At the time, he also sponsored a House resolution, originally adopted at an American Legion national convention, calling for a congressional investigation of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Trilateral Commission. “
So why am I thinking of Larry McDonald. I have been concerned by the way things are shaping up these days. It seems more than just greed has led to the destruction of historic sites through Georgia and the united Sates for that matter. I believe the subtle roots of Communism has produced fruit in our generation. I reread an older book called the Naked Communist and some of the goals they listed. See if some of these sound familiar to you.
- Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
- Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist [or, today, Islamic] affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
- Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist [or Islamic] domination.
- Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
- Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces.
- Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
- Do away with all loyalty oaths.
- Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
- Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
- Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
- Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
- Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
- Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. (An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”)
- Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
- Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
- Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
- Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
- Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principal of “separation of church and state.”
- Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
- Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
- Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.”
- Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture – education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
- Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
- Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
- Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
- Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
- Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
- Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [“]united force[“] to solve economic, political or social problems.
- Internationalize the Panama Canal.
- Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
I presented this idea in other forums and a lot of millennials scoffed at the idea. They certainly don’t want to think the attacks against Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington to be associated with Communism. After all they have a trendier name for it these days. Its called Progressive. Sounds much nicer doesn’t it.
I remember applying to be a voter registrar for Bartow County back in 2001. I remember you had to sign a documents affirming you were not a member of the Communist Party. I thought that was odd. In a recent political election for the city of Atlanta there was actually a candidate for the Socialist party. I would not be surprised about what political parties would be on the rise. With todays nonchalant attitude, these groups are not afraid to come out and announce their intentions.
So if you were concerned about the rise of communism like I am and specifically where it leads to the destruction of historical sites and monuments what do you do? What would Larry McDonald Do? Unfortunately we will never know due to the fact he was shot down over Soviet airspace. I think the answer for me whether its the communist party, an uncaring city council or just politics in general is to take a stand for history and preservation. Even if it means your the lone voice in the wilderness and perhaps if it means you get shot down for your beliefs.
“We Have Become the Communist States of America
http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/j-matt-barber/By J. Matt Barber | March 31, 2014 | 5:50 PM EDT”
Soviets shoot down airliner carrying Rep. Larry McDonald, Sept. 1, 1983 By Andrew Glass | 09/01/2009 04:37 AM EDT
Image from Mapio.Net